Cormier, Winn’s longtime teammate and mentor, was also calling the action on Saturday and barely made it into the cage before Hawes starting shouting at him.
“You picked the wrong pony!” Hawes shouted at Cormier. “Yeah, you dog. You know what I’m talking about. I’ll cool off and then next week you can fight me.”
Check out the verbal altercation below via Twitter user @BakankyBro.
Cormier verbally fired back at Hawes, and referee Herb Dean eventually stepped in between them to ensure the altercation didn’t turn physical.
“I don’t pick fights,” Cormier said in response. “Be respectful. You didn’t beat me. I don’t pick fights.
“Look at what happened. Why would I want this fight? You can do it better than that, don’t do that.”
Cooler heads eventually prevailed, and Hawes turned back to Cormier to shake his hand; he added “I apologize” to the former two-division UFC champion.
It’s not clear why Hawes sought out the confrontation other than Cormier’s close relationship with Winn, who suffered a brutal TKO loss in the fight in Texas.
While they were shouting at each other when the fight ended, Cormier composed himself and interviewed Hawes after his victory without any further incident.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage