LAS VEGAS -- By now, Cain Velasquez has been asked about his "Brown Pride" tattoo so often, he's pretty much gotten used to it.
"That's definitely a question that everyone brings up," Velasquez said Thursday. "It's just like any other question you've answered other times. It's fine."
During a press conference at the MGM Grand promoting UFC 155, the former UFC heavyweight champion was once again asked about his tattoo, which he considers a representation of pride in his Mexican-American heritage. But this time, UFC president Dana White stepped in and left no doubt where he stands.
"People that have a problem with the ‘Brown Pride' tattoo are morons," he said. "It says ‘Brown Pride.' Big deal; the guy is proud to be Mexican.
"I lived in Boston, every Italian was running around with something Italian on their body," White continued. "Every guy who was Irish had some Irish tattoo on him, and the list goes on and on. It's ridiculous."
In case his opinion wasn't clear, White added "This kind of stuff pisses me off. I think it's ridiculous."
Velasquez, for his part, seems eager to put it all to rest.
"I think my fighting style just kind of speaks for itself," he said. "I'm kind of private in everything else, but I just kind of think my fighting speaks for itself."
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage