The Ecuadorian bantamweight, who gets perhaps his best chance to climb into title contention by beating Cruz, promised the two-time champ’s fans, “I’m going to kick his ass tomorrow – I’m going to finish him,” closing UFC San Diego’s ceremonial weigh-ins after a tense main event staredown.
UFC San Diego takes place Friday at Pechanga Arena in San Diego. The 13-bout card kicks off at 4 p.m. ET on ESPN and ESPN+.
Cruz, not surprisingly, got a far warmer reception as the first main event fighter to make the walk for pose-downs.
“Love being her in San Diego, my people – we’re going to bring it back,” he said after the faceoff. “Let’s go.”
Check out the main event staredown above.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage