In a matchup against fellow grappler Johnny Munoz, both fighters were expected to look for the takedown early, but it was Gravely throwing a punch just when his opponent ducked his head that made all the difference.
As soon as Gravely’s uppercut connected, Munoz was immediately dazed and crumbled to the mat. A few more punches followed on the ground before the referee rushed in to rescue Munoz and prevent any further punishment.
The end came just 1:08 into the opening round.
“I knew he was shooting in,” Gravely said of the finish. “I threw [the uppercut], I knew it would be there because I knew he would try to take me down.
“This is what I expected. I came here to kill this man. If the ref didn’t pull me off, I would have.”
The win marked Gravely’s second in a row as he moved to 4-2 overall in the UFC with his second knockout inside the octagon. Afterward, Gravely didn’t have a future opponent in mind, but rather a request to stay as busy as possible for the rest of 2022.
“I would like to fight at least two more times this year,” Gravely said. “That would be great.”
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage