Erin Blanchfield can now add a UFC finish to her already impressive résumé.
The 23-year-old flyweight prospect submitted veteran JJ Aldrich (11-5) with an impressive guillotine choke to kick off the preliminary portion of UFC Vegas 56 on Saturday, bouncing back from a tough first round that she dropped on all three judges’ scorecards. It was the first finish inside the octagon for Blanchfield (9-1), who improved to 3-0 in the UFC.
Watch the fight-ending choke above.
“I felt she wasn’t defending her neck,” Blanchfield said in her post-fight interview. “High elbow [guillotine chokes] are something I hit all the time in the gym so I knew it was there.
“I’m trying to move up the rankings and I want the winner of Eye vs. Barber. I think either of those girls would be a great fight for me and I’ll finish them, too.”
It wasn’t an easy fight for the former Invicta FC standout by any stretch, as Aldrich had been soundly out-striking her for the majority of the contest. However, Blanchfield landed a knee to the body midway through the second round that pushed Aldrich down to the mat and Blanchfield immediately hunted for a grappling opportunity.
The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt then snatched Aldrich’s neck and torqued it a scary angle, forcing the tap.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage