Cody Garbrandt has been left without an opponent for UFC Vegas 58 on July 9 after Rani Yahya suffered a neck injury, multiple people with knowledge of the situation told MMA Fighting on Monday following a report from BJPenn.com.
Yahya is expected to be sidelined from training for at least four weeks and currently has no timetable for his return to the cage, MMA Fighting learned.
The UFC has yet to decide what’s next for Garbrandt, a former UFC champion who is set to move back up to the 135-pound division after suffering a first-round knockout loss to flyweight contender Kai Kara-France in December.
Garbrandt’s knockout victory over Raphael Assuncao in June 2020 is his only win over his past six bouts, a run that includes stoppage losses to T.J. Dillashaw (twice) and Pedro Munhoz, as well as a five-round decision setback opposite Rob Font.
Mike Heck contributed to this report.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage