Edgar Berlanga nearly went full Mike Tyson.
An undefeated super middleweight contender, Berlanga faced off against Roamer Alexis Angulo in a 10-round boxing match on Saturday at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden. Berlanga ultimately won the bout via unanimous decision, however his performance took a backseat to an incident in the seventh round that saw Berlanga seemingly attempt to bite Angulo’s ear and neck, a la Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield 2.
Watch a replay of the incident below.
Berlanga acknowledged — and attempted to justify — the bite attempt after the match.
“It was because he was throwing elbows,” he said. “I was about to do a Mike Tyson on him. He kept throwing elbows. I didn’t want to get cut. I was ready to bite him (like) Mike Tyson.”
It is unclear at the time of this writing if Berlanga (20-0, 16 KOs) will receive any punishment for his actions, whether by a fine or suspension or by vacating his win.
Tyson famously bit off a chunk of Holyfield’s ear in the pair’s rematch in 1997. Tyson was suspended indefinitely for the incident, fined $3 million, and had to serve an undisclosed period of community service, although his boxing license was eventually reinstated.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage