Marc Diakiese’s wrestling was on full display in his latest win.
Saturday’s UFC Columbus main card kicked off with a battle of lightweights that was won by Diakiese (15-5), who took a clear-cut unanimous over Viacheslav Borshchev (6-2) after three rounds of grueling ground work. All three judges scored the fight 30-27 for Diakiese.
In his post-fight speech, Diakiese called for a fight with Drew Dober.
From Round 1, it was clear what Diakiese’s plan was as he looked to grapple with Borshchev, a less experienced MMA fighter with a background in boxing and kickboxing. Borshchev did well fighting off takedown attempts early, even scoring clean punches off of a break, but Diakiese stuck with his wrestling and was eventually able to put Borshchev on his back. Even with little damage done in the first round, it was a frame easily scored in Diakiese’s favor.
The other two rounds were even more lopsided as Diakiese scored takedowns to open both Round 2 and Round 3 and Borshchev had no answer for him on the ground. Diakiese either attacked with ground-and-pound or focused on controlling Borshchev, with one of the highlights of the fight being a Diakiese slam in the final round when Borshchev attempted to stand.
This is Borshchev’s first loss in the UFC following a successful debut against Dakota Bush in January.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage