Ortega challenges opposing The Ultimate Fighter 29 coach Volkanovski for the featherweight championship in the main event of UFC 266 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas tomorrow. “T-City,” who gets his second opportunity to become champion, earned top contender status with a dominant unanimous decision win over Chan Sung Jung at UFC Fight Island 6 this past October.
Following the final face-off between champion and challenger at the UFC 266 ceremonial weigh-ins, Ortega made it clear—especially with the constant trash talk from his opponent throughout the build to the bout—he is more concerned with hurting Volkanovski than becoming champion.
“No more words,” Ortega told Jon Anik. “Tomorrow, f*ck the belt, I’m coming for your head.”
Volkanovski, who holds back-to-back wins over Max Holloway to become champion and in his first title defense, seemed to like Ortega’s prediction, perhaps feeling like he’s getting under his rival’s skin.
“[Ortega] is gonna bring it, I want him coming guns blazing,” Volkanovski said. “Everyone back home in Australia, stay strong. I’m bringing that belt back to Australia.”
Check out the intense staredown in the video above and more ceremonial weigh-in highlights below.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage