Though it seems unlikely that Georges St-Pierre will ever set foot inside the octagon again, don’t count out the 40-year old from ever competing in combat sports again. It may just take a while.
St-Pierre is one of the most accomplished fighters in MMA history and since retiring from the sport in 2019, rumors of a return to fighting have never been far off. Primarily, St-Pierre’s name was used in connection with former UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, however, earlier this year it was revealed that St-Pierre was ready to jump on another opportunity: a boxing match against another legend, Oscar De La Hoya. Unfortunately for all involved, the superfight was nixed by the UFC who still has St-Pierre under contract. UFC President Dana White’s decision to put the kibosh on St-Pierre’s boxing dreams upset many people, most notably the would-be promoters of the superfight, Triller. However, St-Pierre at least is taking the high road.
“Trust me, if this fight would have happened, I would have moved to Los Angeles to Freddie Roach’s gym and made a full training camp, leaving no stone unturned,” St-Pierre told SI.com. “Unfortunately, Dana White didn’t want it. It is what it is. I can’t be mad at him. People have said to take him to court, but that makes me look like the bad guy, and I don’t want to spend money on lawyers and all that.”
Though St-Pierre has always kept his comments about the UFC respectful, he and the organization have not been on the best of terms over the last several years. After St-Pierre walked away from the sport in 2013, White was irate at the actions of his champion and PPV star. When St-Pierre then wanted to make a comeback in 2017 to challenge for the middleweight title, his negotiations with the UFC were prolonged and involved re-upping his fight contract, including a provision stating that St-Pierre would defend the UFC middleweight title should he win it. It’s that contract which still holds sway over St-Pierre’s career, however, according to the former two-division champion, he won’t be locked into it forever and once he’s free, opportunity abounds.
“My contract with UFC will finish in almost two years, and I will be free—and I will still be in shape,” St-Pierre said. “I’m still a fighter and an entertainer. If there is an exhibition fight or a novelty fight for charity, then never say never.”
Since his official retirement from the sport in 2019, St-Pierre has maintained he won’t return to competition unless the right opportunity comes along for his legacy. He’s already been denied those opportunities twice by the UFC, with De La Hoya and Nurmagomedov. Perhaps in a few years, the third time will be the charm.
The A-Side Live Chat.
Top UFC finishes of 2021 so far.
MixedMollyWhoppery back in your life.
Woodley adopting a Nick Diaz-esque stance to fighting.
Cowboy at the Sig Sauer Games, part 2.
SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE
Jake Paul hitting all the right notes.
SMH… Imagine a rookie in the NBA had to start a GoFundMe to play..— Paul Paul (@jakepaul) June 30, 2021
I let Sarah @TOOSWEET_Alpar know she has my support and contribution
It’s my honor and privilege to help fellow fighters in anyway I can https://t.co/XvDHOwoN6Q
A short play.
Now he can’t make weight— Sean O'Malley (@SugaSeanMMA) June 30, 2021
Smart move, control the narrative. Pretend to accept so it doesn’t look as bad when you get a lesser opponent. I’ve been tested, I’ll be around.— Ricky Simón (@RickySimonUFC) June 30, 2021
I told u the terms of our deal. We can both get close to 175ish. https://t.co/COeoEKrAit— Kevin Holland (@Trailblaze2top) July 1, 2021
If Sean O’Malley was an animal pic.twitter.com/kUFP10nlLE— Brian BOOM Kelleher (@brianboom135) July 1, 2021
Chael living the brand.
Look at me, curled up like a spring, getting ready to pounce all over him. https://t.co/bmoFrm6DRG— Chael Sonnen (@ChaelSonnen) June 30, 2021
You're referring to this clip of a crazed loser trying to get his toe back after I TORE it OFF???— Chael Sonnen (@ChaelSonnen) June 30, 2021
THAT clip? https://t.co/DQ760EQQcW
Little-known fact— Chael Sonnen (@ChaelSonnen) June 30, 2021
Jon had a deal w/NIKE at the time
But one of the conditions was he had to have
and I'm HOLDIN' ONE OF 'EM in that clip
Hence the desperation. https://t.co/bmoFrm6DRG
Proud to have signed a new multi fight contract with @BellatorMMA Life changing.Thankyou god for every opened door, closed door, every lesson and being forever faithful even when I am not. Your will be done not mine.— Leah McCourt (@leahmccourtmma) June 30, 2021
Just been Practicing my headbutts ➡️ Thanks Soccer Locker Uk pic.twitter.com/aBWaIvEK6b
Sean O’Malley (13-1) vs. Kris Moutinho (9-4); UFC 264, July 10.
It’s really cool that we as fans could be watching GSP do weird or interesting other fights and instead we don’t get that because Dana has beef with Triller. It’s the best.
Thanks for reading and see y’all tomorrow.
Will we ever see Georges St-Pierre compete in combat sports again?
This poll is closed