The Brazilian flyweight tested positive for banned diuretic hydrochlorothiazide in an out-of-competition test on May 1, two weeks after a win over Matt Schnell. The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) conducted tests in two open dietary supplements provided by Bontorin, and the illegal substance was found in the products despite not being listed on the label.
Since Bontorin purchased the supplements in a Brazilian compounding pharmacy instead of using supplement certified by USADA, the UFC fighter was hit with a three-month suspension dating back to May 1, USADA announced on Thursday.
Bontorin (17-3, 1 no contest) makes his return to the octagon eight months after defeating Schnell via decision in a bantamweight match.
Royval (12-6) is a former LFA flyweight champion who got close to a shot at the UFC belt after a 2-0 start in the company with submissions over Tim Elliott and Kai-Kara France.
Ranked No. 9 in the MMA Fighting Global Rankings, Royval is looking to redeem himself after back-to-back stoppage defeats to Brandon Moreno and Alexandre Pantoja in his most recent octagon appearances.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage