A third championship fight is in the works for the already stacked pay-per-view fight card in March.
Multiple people with knowledge of the promotion’s plans confirmed to MMA Fighting that a bantamweight title fight between new champion Petr Yan and Aljamain Sterling is being targeted for UFC 259. The event takes place March 6 at a location still to be determined. MMA Junkie was first to report the booking.
Per sources, both sides have agreed to the bout with contracts expected to be signed soon.
The matchup was originally scheduled to take place in the main event of UFC 256 before Yan was forced to withdraw for personal reasons.
Yan captured his first UFC title when he finished Jose Aldo in the fifth round at UFC 251. “No Mercy” has won 10 straight fights, including all seven of his octagon appearances, which includes wins over John Dodson, Jimmie Rivera and Urijah Faber.
Sterling became the No. 1 contender when he submitted Cory Sandhagen in the first round at UFC 250 in August. “Funk Master” has won five straight and seven of eight as he enters his first UFC title fight.
UFC 259 is headlined by a light heavyweight title fight between Jan Blachowicz and middleweight champion Israel Adesanya. The women’s featherweight title will also be on the line as Amanda Nunes defends against Megan Anderson.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage