Elizeu Zaleski’s next task will be to welcome an unbeaten fighter to the octagon.
MMA Fighting confirmed with people with knowledge of the potential booking that Zaleski (22-7) is in talks to fight Kazakhstan’s Shavkat Rakhmonov (12-0) at UFC 254 on Oct. 24 in Abu Dhabi. The matchup was first reported by Combate.
Zaleski, 33, finds himself in a minor slump after winning seven straight fights from April 2016 to March 2019. He has lost two of his last three, most recently dropping a split decision to Muslim Salikhov at UFC 251, which put Zaleski’s UFC record at 8-3. “Capoeira” holds notable wins over Curtis Millender, Sean Strickland, and Max Griffin, among others.
Rakhmonov is undefeated in his first 12 pro bouts with all of his wins coming by way of knockout or submission. The 25-year-old has competed primarily for Russia’s M-1 Global promotion. His UFC debut was twice delayed, with a March 21 booking against Bartosz Fabinski cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak, followed by Rakhomonov withdrawing from a July 25 meeting with Ramazan Emeev.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage