Viana turned the tables on Whitmire, snatching an armbar after getting put on her back in the early action of Saturday’s fight. She pounded the mat and let out a scream, celebrating her win at the 1:53 mark of the opening frame.
Here’s the finish, which the UFC announced as the fifth-fastest in strawweight history.
The win turned the page for Viana, who’d lost her three previous bouts and was in danger of being cut from the promotion. Although she garnered dozens of positive headlines for beating up a male attacker in an attempted robbery, she was 1-3 when she walked into the octagon against Whitmire.
In her post-fight interview, Viana tearfully paid tribute to her training partner, who one month ago drowned in an accident, per her manager Alex Davis.
Whitmire has now dropped two straight bouts after a second-round submission loss to Amanda Ribas in her previous outing.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage