A key heavyweight matchup will take place towards the end of the year.
Multiple people with knowledge of the promotion’s plans confirmed to MMA Fighting that Curtis Blaydes and Derrick Lewis will meet in the headliner of the UFC’s event set for Nov. 28. The location for the card is yet to be determined.
ESPN was first to report the booking.
Besides losing two fights to Francis Ngannou, Blaydes is unbeaten throughout his professional career. Following a November 2018 knockout loss to Ngannou, “Razor” has won his last four fights to become the No. 2 ranked heavyweight in the promotion. Blaydes’ current streak includes decision wins over Justin Willis and Alexander Volkov, along with second-round TKO stoppages of Junior dos Santos and Shamil Abdurakhimov.
Lewis, a former title challenger, has won his last three and six of eight as he looks to get back into a championship fight. “The Black Beast” earned back-to-back decision wins over Blagoy Ivanov and Ilir Latifi on the way to headlining UFC Vegas 6 earlier this month against Alexey Oleinik. The Houston native was able to put Oleinik away in the second-round after a right hook lead to vicious ground and pound.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage