Mike Perry will seek professional treatment after allegedly assaulting three people in a Texas restaurant earlier this week.
On Thursday, UFC officials sent a statement to MMA Fighting regarding Perry’s status with the organization after video surfaced showing the welterweight contender punching an older man during the altercation.
According to a police report released after the incident, the victim was knocked unconscious and taken to a local hospital for treatment.
“UFC is aware and troubled by the video that was released last night concerning Mike Perry,” UFC officials said. “The conduct displayed by Perry is not reflective of that of our organization. Perry apologized for his behavior and acknowledged he was disappointed with himself that his actions may have reflected poorly on UFC.
“He further acknowledged that he believes he has some issues related to alcohol abuse and has informed UFC that he has committed to immediately seek professional treatment, including substance and behavioral counseling. At this time, UFC has informed Perry that he will not be offered a bout, and the parties have agreed to evaluate next steps for Perry following the completion of his treatment program.“
Mike Perry in a bar fight last night over someone “touching him”.— MMA Eejit (@MMAEejit) July 8, 2020
This is pretty disgusting behaviour from a UFC calibre fighter. Acting like a complete child. pic.twitter.com/ZAuxZTtXtW
Perry’s manager, Malki Kawa, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The police report offered a disturbing account of the ordeal including one victim alleging that Perry struck a woman during the altercation. Perry claims the woman was “clawing” at him while trying to intervene as he argued with her boyfriend.
A total of three victims were named in the police report, who were allegedly assaulted by Perry during the incident.
Prior to the video being released, the 28-year-old fighter put a message out on Twitter that appeared to reference the incident in the Texas restaurant.
“If you see us in public and you get too close, I’m gonna hit you,” Perry wrote. “Social distancing says you gotta stay six feet away from us. You come in my bubble you getting Sparta kicked in the nuts and f**kin stone cold stunnered b*tch.”
— Platinum Mike Perry (@PlatinumPerry) July 7, 2020
If you see us in public and you get too close, I’m gonna hit you. Social distancing says you gotta stay 6 feet away from us. You come in my bubble you getting Sparta kicked in the nuts and fuckin stone cold stunnered bitch ! #DimMak
While Perry only faces a misdemeanor charge stemming from the altercation at the restaurant, the UFC still maintains the ability to punish a fighter under its code of conduct policy.
Based on the statement released on Thursday, the UFC won’t make a final decision on Perry’s future with the promotion until after he finishes a treatment program. Perry most recently competing on June 27 when he earned a unanimous decision over Mickey Gall at UFC on ESPN 12.