Dana White’s Contender Series will be returning sooner rather than later.
According to multiple sources speaking to MMA Fighting on Sunday, the Contender Series is expected to relaunch on Aug. 4 from the UFC APEX in Las Vegas. Additionally, sources have said that the Contender Series fight cards are currently expected to run each week through August, September and the first two weeks of October.
Season 3 of the Contender Series, which ran in 2019, also lasted for 10 weeks.
While it’s always been expected that the show would return, there has been no definitive word from the UFC as the promotion continues to deal with holding events during a global pandemic. The UFC will call the APEX home for the foreseeable future while fans are not allowed to attend events.
Over the past three years, the Contender Series has served as a launch pad for numerous UFC careers as five fights in different weight classes taking place each week. Following the conclusion of the card, UFC president Dana White picks the athletes he wants to offer a UFC contract.
As the date draws near, the UFC will begin announcing the fight cards that will make up the newest slat of Contender Series events with the shows being held behind closed doors.
News of the Contender Series returning was first reported by MMA Junkie.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage