Three UFC cards were recently cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic but it doesn’t appear any of the fighters will be looking for new opponents once the promotion begins planning events again.
UFC president Dana White confirmed on Monday that he plans on rebooking all of the same fights from those postponed events — he’s just not certain when that will happen.
He was specifically asked about the welterweight showdown between Leon Edwards and Tyron Woodley, which was scrapped after UFC London was the first event sacrificed due to governments around the world issuing orders to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
In the aftermath, Edwards immediately asked for the fight to be rebooked but Woodley seemed more interested in a potential matchup with longtime rival Colby Covington.
Now according to White, Edwards and Woodley are still expected to meet as well as all the other matchups that were previously scheduled, which included Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik as well as Alistair Overeem vs. Walt Harris.
“Yes,” White answered when asked specifically about Edwards vs. Woodley during an Instagram live session with Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole. “All these fights are being rescheduled.
“Once we get this Khabib [Nurmagomedov] fight on, we’re rolling. We’re back in business and we’re rolling. And like I told earlier, everybody that’s going to fight is going to fight because they want to, not because they have to.”
White has said that he already has plans in motion to move forward with UFC 249, which features the highly anticipated fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson on April 18.
From the sound of things, White intends to get that card finalized with a new location and venue and then turn his attention to the rest of the UFC schedule planned for April and beyond.
First things first, the UFC has to get to April 18 but White seems adamant that all of the previously scheduled fights will be rebooked after the promotion gets through the coronavirus pandemic.