BRASILIA, Brazil — UFC Brasilia fighters are not being tested for coronavirus ahead of Saturday night’s event in Brazil, CABMMA COO Cristiano Sampaio confirmed to MMA Fighting.
Members of multiple teams told MMA Fighting on Thursday that no testing had been done throughout the week to check for coronavirus, and Sampaio explained the thought process behind the decision.
“What we did was follow teams and athletes closely, alongside the UFC, for possible symptoms, and so far no one has presented any,” Sampaio said in a written statement to MMA Fighting. “There was no suspicion even at the weigh-ins, where fighters would be more weaken with the weight cut. The incubation period goes from five to 14 days, which could still result in a negative test.”
UFC Brasilia will proceed with no fans and media at the Nilson Nelson Gymnasium after a decree from the Federal District governor suspended every event that gathered more than 100 people due to the coronavirus outbreak. CABMMA will have to work with a short staff inside the arena compared to regular UFC events in the country.
“We’re taking every measure possible under the current scenario,” Sampaio wrote.
UFC Brasilia will be headlined by Kevin Lee vs. Charles Oliveira despite the fact that “Motown Phenom” missed weight by 2.5 pounds on Friday morning. The Fight Night event features 24 athletes from 11 different countries.