Nate Diaz’s next fight might be in a courtroom.
On Wednesday, the Miami Herald published a story about an MMA fighter who’d been hospitalized after he attacked cops at a local police station following an arrest on domestic violence charges. The initial story identified Diaz as the person arrested and said he was hospitalized with injuries following the altercation with police.
As soon as the story was released, Diaz’s representative Zach Rosenfield released a statement to MMA Fighting disputing the accuracy of the report.
“This story is 100 percent inaccurate, untrue and irresponsible,” Rosenfield said while adding that Diaz had been home from attending the Super Bowl in Miami for over a week.
Less than one hour later, the Miami Herald released a retraction to their initial story while issuing an apology to Diaz for the false report.
“In an initial version of this story, the Miami Herald incorrectly reported that mixed martial arts superstar Nate Diaz had been arrested in a domestic-violence case,” the newspaper wrote in a statement. “The Herald apologizes for the error.”
The Miami Herald later amended its report, stating the person arrested was named Michael Albert Nates, a 31-year-old MMA fighter from Miami.
The retraction and the apology may not save the media outlet from a potential lawsuit. Rosenfield released a second statement to MMA Fighting on Wednesday after the retraction was published.
“This is utter nonsense and is irresponsible as it comes,” Rosenfield stated. “We are exploring legal action.”
Diaz hasn’t released a statement of his own regarding the story. But his team is looking into the legal ramifications after the false accusations in the headlines.