“He gets what he’s been waiting for,” White answered when asked what comes next for McGregor. “He gets what he’s been asking for. He has been chomping at the bit for the Khabib rematch. I think it’s no big secret.
“If he wins this weekend, he will get that shot at the title and it will be the biggest pay-per-view ever in UFC history.”
It’s not the first time White has outlined such a plan. This past month, he told BT Sport he would attempt to make it if McGregor beat Cerrone and Nurmagomedov bested Tony Ferguson in April. Nurmagomedov, meanwhile, scoffed at the idea and said he would decide his next opponent.
The first fight between McGregor and Nurmagomedov was touted as the most profitable event in UFC history. But White believes the rematch would be even bigger.
McGregor has claimed he’d win a rematch with adjustments to his training and strategy; he fell to Nurmagomedov by fourth round rear naked choke in their first meeting.
Toss in a heated rivalry with the undefeated Russian, and it only adds fuel to the fire as McGregor seeks to avenge his loss.
Judging by White’s comments, he’s salivating at the profits to be made from a second bite at the apple if that epic event comes together in 2020.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage