A painful injury forced Luana Carolina out of UFC Shenzhen, MMA Fighting has learned.
The Brazilian flyweight was slated to face Yanan Wu at UFC’s upcoming event in Shenzhen, China, on Aug. 31, but was forced out of the card with a fractured spine from a training incident and is expected to be out 2-3 months.
It’s still unclear if Wu will get a new opponent.
Carolina (6-1) and Wu (10-2) were originally set to fight at UFC 237 in May, but Wu pulled out with an injury. “Dread” took on short-notice replacement Priscila Cachoeira instead, winning via unanimous decision.
Wu last fought in November, submitting Lauren Mueller with an armbar in the first round of their flyweight bout at UFC Beijing to improve to 1-1 under the promotion’s banner. Wu lost a decision to bantamweight Gina Mazany in her debut.
UFC Shenzhen will take place at the Universiade Sports Centre and features 115-pound champion Jessica Andrade defending her title against China’s Weili Zhang in the main event.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage