clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Santiago Ponzinibbio returns home after second hospitalization in one month

New, comments
UFC on FOX 19 photos
Santiago Ponzinibbio was hoping to headline UFC Uruguay on Aug. 10, but will have to wait longer to return.
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Less than two weeks after being hospitalized with bacterial infection in his knee and undergoing emergency surgery in Florida, UFC welterweight Santiago Ponzinibbio had to return to the hospital.

The Argentine talent, who remained in hospital for a week earlier this month, was cleared from the hospital on Tuesday after spending eight more days under medical care, he told MMA Fighting.

According to Ponzinibbio, he had a reaction to the medication he was taking after the surgery and had to return to the hospital after experiencing pain and fever. The welterweight fighter has yet to be cleared to return to training and doesn’t have a timetable for a return to the Octagon.

“I’m focused on my recovery now,” Ponzinibbio told MMA Fighting. “I want to fight soon, of course, but I have to get back to 100 percent first. I know I’ll come back better than ever and win the fights I have to win to win my title.”

Earlier this month, Ponzinibbio shared a video on social media revealing he had undergone emergency surgery.

Ponzinibbio (27-3) is currently riding a seven-fight winning streak that includes stoppages over Neil Magny and Gunnar Nelson and decisions against names like Mike Perry and Nordine Taleb.