The former UFC middleweight champion suffered a first-round TKO loss in the co-main event of UFC 237 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Saturday night, collapsing on the canvas after receiving a heavy kick to the right knee.
Immediately after the bout, Silva’s team knew he hadn’t suffered any fracture, but worried that the kick had caused damage to his ligaments. However, an MRI exam showed that his ligaments are intact and “The Spider” only needs physical therapy before returning to training.
Silva (34-10, 1 no-contest) has now lost six of his last eight bouts since 2013. He was victorious in two occasions, defeating Derek Brunson and Nick Diaz via decision, but the win over Diaz was later overturned to a no-contest after both fighters tested positive for banned substances.
A day after the UFC 237 loss, Silva released a statement on his social media suggesting he will not hang up his gloves.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage