Lightweight fireworks are heading to Chicago.
Ferguson (24-3), a former UFC interim lightweight champion, has not competed since finishing former champion Anthony Pettis at UFC 229 in October. Since then, “El Cucuy” has found himself in the headlines more for his personal life rather than his fight life.
In March 2019, Ferguson’s wife, Cristina Ferguson, filed a restraining order against her husband for her and their two-year-old son, citing “threatening and violent behavior.” The case eventually came to an end after Cristina Ferguson chose to drop the temporary restraining order.
Cerrone (36-11, 1 NC), a former UFC and WEC title challenger, is coming off a dominant decision win over Al Iaquinta at UFC Ottawa earlier this month, earning his fifth career Fight of the Night bonus in the process.
To date, “Cowboy” finds himself atop the list of several UFC records, including most total wins (23), finishes (16), post-fight bonuses (17) and knockdowns (20) in UFC history. The Denver native also finds himself chasing Jim Miller for most lightweight finishes and total fights, regardless of weight class, in UFC history.
UFC 238 is slated to go down on June 8 inside the United Center in Chicago, Ill. With this latest addition, here is how the rest of the card stands:
- Henry Cejudo vs. Marlon Moraes - for vacant UFC Bantamweight Championship
- Valentina Shevchenko (c) vs. Jessica Eye - for UFC Flyweight Championship
- Tony Ferguson vs. Donald Cerrone
- Jimmie Rivera vs. Petr Yan
- Tai Tuivasa vs. Blagoy Ivanov
- Tatiana Suarez vs. Nina Ansaroff
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Alexa Grasso
- Aljamain Sterling vs. Pedro Munhoz
- Ricardo Lamas vs. Calvin Kattar
- Katlyn Chookagian vs. Joanne Calderwood
- Angela Hill vs. Yan Xiaonan
- Eddie Wineland vs. Grigory Popov