Invicta FC has joined the cross promotion trend, allowing its atomweight champion Jinh Yu Frey to challenge Ayaka Hamasaki for the Rizin super atomweight belt at Rizin 16 on June 2, Rizin announced Wednesday.
The fight, which was first reported by ESPN, is a rematch of a 2016 title clash that ended in a doctor stoppage win for Hamasaki.
After that bout at Invicta FC 19, Hamasaki (17-2) moved up in weight and lost to Livinha Souza before moving to Japan to compete at Rizin, scoring wins over Alyssa Garcia and Mina Kurobe before capturing the vacant title with a submission over Kanna Asakura.
“I have waited two and a half years for this opportunity,” Frey said. “It’s time to settle the score.”
“I fought Frey two and a half years ago, and I know it’s going to be a tough fight,” Hamasaki said. “I won by a cut, but she had me in some dangerous situations in the first round. This time I would like to dominate her in every aspect, and make her not ever want to fight me again.”
Rizin 16 will take place at the Kobe World Memorial Hall in Kobe, Japan, and also feature family members of the late “Kid” Yamamoto, as his sister Miyuu Yamamoto faces Kanna Asakura and his nephew Erson Yamamoto battles Tim Eschtruth. Tenshin Nasukawa is also expected to compete at the event in a kickboxing match.
The current fight card can be seen below.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage