The UFC’s next Florida card won’t be headlined by Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Costa after all.
After months of speculation, the UFC has decided to give “Soldier of God” another opponent for the UFC event on April 27, booking a rematch with Ronaldo Souza instead of a fight with “Borrachinha,” sources confirmed to MMA Fighting following a report by ESPN.
Romero (13-3) is looking to rebound from a thrilling split-decision defeat to middleweight champion Robert Whittaker in June. Sandwiched by decision losses to Whittaker is a third-round knockout victory over Luke Rockhold.
Souza (26-6, 1 no-contest), who lost a controversial split decision to Romero in 2015, last fought in December of 2018, knocking out former champion Chris Weidman at Madison Square Garden. That win moved “Jacare” back to the winning column after a split-decision loss to Kelvin Gastelum last May.
The UFC’s return to Florida will be at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla., and will air live on ESPN.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage