Making the featherweight limit proved to be too tall a task for Luis Pena.
On Friday at the official UFC Nashville weigh-ins, the 6-foot-3 Pena (popularly known as “Violent Bob Ross”) came in at 148.5 pounds, 2.5 pounds over the limit (including a standard one-pound allowance) for his featherweight bout with Steven Peterson tomorrow. This was Pena’s first attempt to drop down to featherweight after competing six times at lightweight to start his pro career.
Per UFC officials, Pena will be fined 30 percent of his purse and the bout will proceed as a catchweight affair.
A standout on The Ultimate Fighter 27 whose time on the show was cut short by a foot injury, Pena is 5-1 with a win and a loss in the UFC. He defeated Richie Smullen by first-round submission at The Ultimate Fighter 27 Finale, but lost a split decision to TUF 27 champion Mike Trizano in November.
Watch video of the official weigh-ins below:
Main card (ESPN+ at 8 p.m. ET)
Luis Pena (148.5) vs Steven Peterson (146)
Undercard (ESPN+ at 5 p.m. ET)
UPDATE: Pena released a statement on Twitter, taking full responsibility for his weight mishap, writing that he “approached the last part of [his] in the wrong way:
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage