Valentina Shevchenko’s first title defense will come in the Windy City.
The UFC women’s flyweight champion will face challenger Jessica Eye at UFC 238 on June 8 in Chicago, the UFC announced officially Monday. ESPN was the first to report the fight being close to done last week.
Shevchenko (16-3) is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Joanna Jedrzejczyk in a vacant title bout at UFC 231 back in December. “Bullet” is 2-0 since moving down to flyweight after a run at bantamweight that saw her advance to a title fight against Amanda Nunes, a close defeat. Shevchenko, 30, is a former multiple time Muay Thai world champion and regarded as one of the best female fighters in the world today.
Eye (14-6, 1 NC) has made an incredible career comeback in the flyweight division, winning three straight after four straight losses at bantamweight. The Ohio native, who now trains out of Las Vegas, most recently defeated Katlyn Chookagian via split decision at UFC 231. Eye, 32, has only lost once in her career at 125 pounds, back in 2011.
UFC 238 does not yet have an announced main event. The Chicago Tribune reported Monday a potential title eliminator at women’s flyweight — Joanne Calderwood vs. Chookagian, plus a significant women’s strawweight bout between Tatiana Suarez and Nina Ansaroff.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage