UFC 236’s two interim title pairings feature on the poster that supports the April 13 event.
Max Holloway will look to add the UFC interim lightweight title to his belt collection when he clashes with top tier lightweight Dustin Poirier in the main event. In the co-main event, Kelvin Gastelum meets striking supremo Israel Adesanya for the interim middleweight title.
Holloway was crowned undisputed champion of the featherweight division when he soundly beat pound-for-pound great Jose Aldo in the main event of UFC 212 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He has defended the title on two occasions. He was scheduled to meet Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight crown at UFC 223 before the New York commission pulled him from the contest on weigh-in day.
The bout marks Poirier’s first attempt to clinch UFC gold. He holds a first-round submission win over Holloway from the Hawaiian’s promotional debut in 2012.
Gastelum lost out on an opportunity to fight for the middleweight title when champion Robert Whittaker was pulled from their UFC 234 main event clash due a hernia. Both men fight for a UFC title for the first time on the night, with City Kickboxing’s Adesanya being given a chance to fight for the gold after compiling a 5-0 record with the promotion in the span of a year.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage