A matchup between top 10 heavyweights will headline the UFC’s debut trip to Kansas.
Heavy hitters Derrick Lewis and Junior dos Santos have agreed to meet March 9 at INTRUST Bank Arena in the main event of UFC Wichita. MMA Fighting confirmed the booking Monday afternoon following an initial report by MMA Junkie.
Prior to that, “The Black Beast” ripped off a sensational 9-1 run over a 10-fight span, a run that included seven KO/TKO stoppages and was highlighted by wins over notable names Alexander Volkov, Francis Ngannou, Travis Browne, and Roy Nelson, among others. The 33-year-old Lewis is currently the No. 2 ranked contender in the UFC’s heavyweight division.
Dos Santos (20-5), meanwhile, is enjoying his best streak since his days as UFC heavyweight champion ended in 2012. The power-punching Brazilian has won three of his last four contests, defeating the likes of Ben Rothwell, Blagoy Ivanov, and Tai Tuivasa.
In total, the 34-year-old dos Santos carries a sterling 14-4 UFC record and also holds a slew of Octagon victories over former UFC or Pride FC heavyweight champions: Fabricio Werdum, Frank Mir, Mirko Cro Cop, Stipe Miocic, Shane Carwin, and Cain Velasquez.
UFC Wichita is slated to broadcast live on ESPN+.
Who wins it?
This poll is closed
Junior dos Santos
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage