Christian Lee was handed a disqualification loss for spiking Edward Kelly on his head midway through the first round of their featherweight clash at One Championship: Beyond The Horizon Saturday in Shanghai, China.
Lee looked well on his way to reestablishing himself in the win column following his loss to Martin Nguyen in their championship bout at ONE Championship: Unstoppable Dreams.
He scored a takedown in the first minute and methodically worked his way to Kelly’s back, landing measured blows as he tried to establish a choke. When Kelly got to his feet, Lee lifted him off his feet with a belly-to-back suplex and landed “The Ferocious” on his head and neck.
After re-watching the takedown that rendered Kelly unconscious, the referee concluded that the technique was illegal under the promotion’s Global martial art ruleset and presented Lee with a red card.
In the main event of the evening, Jingnan Xiong survived an early surge from Brazilian, Samara Santos, before booking her November date against atomweight champion, Angela Lee.
Strawweight champion Xiong overcame an early rear-naked choke attempt and completely overwhelmed the Brazilian, beginning with a flying knee at the midpoint of the first round. A couple of armbar attempts brought the only pauses to the Chinese champion’s forward motion.
Xiong finished the fight with a right hand in the third round. The Brazilian had a big reaction the punch, appearing to wave off the fight as she stumbled to the canvas.
Earlier in the night, the man that holds the record for the most knockouts in the promotion’s history, Amir Khan, showcased his submission savvy with a first-round win over former champion Honorio Banario.
After some fierce exchanges in the opening two minutes, Khan took the fight to the ground. He failed on his first attempt to sink in the choke, but forced the tap with less than 30 seconds left on the clock in the first round.
“They say I have no ground…well…there you go,” the knockout artist said in his post-fight interview, having predicted a rear-naked choke victory ahead of the clash.
- Jingnan Xiong def. Samara Santos by TKO (punch) at 1:20 of R3
- Amir Khan def. Honorio Banario via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:33 of R1
- Edward Kelly def. Christian Lee via disqualification (spike) at 2:21 of R1
- Tukkatatong Petpayathai def. Ognjen Topic via unanimous decision [Muay Thai Super Series bout]
- Han Zi Hao def. Stergos Mikkios via unanimous decision [Muay Thai Super Series bout]
- Mustapha Haida def. Daniel Dawson KO (left hook) at 2:14 of R3 [Kickboxing Super Series bout]
- Muhammad Aiman def. Lei Chen via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:31 of R2
- Hakim Hamech def. Yukinora Ogasawara via KO (punch) at 2:59 of R1 [Muay Thai Super Series bout]
- Elipitua Siregar def. Phat Soda via TKO (strikes) at 2:30 of R1