Nick Diaz is free and clear of the domestic violence charges facing him in Las Vegas.
The Clark County (Nev.) District Attorney declined to pursue the case against Diaz, the popular UFC fighter, on Thursday morning, according to Diaz’s attorney Ross Goodman. The judge in Las Vegas Justice Court dismissed the case with prejudice, meaning it was dismissed permanently.
Diaz was facing three felony charges, including two counts of domestic battery by strangulation and one for domestic battery with substantial bodily harm. In addition, he was facing a domestic battery misdemeanor charge stemming from a May incident.
Last month, a grand jury ruled not to indict Diaz on any of the charges, but the DA decided to move forward with the case until now.
“We are grateful that the District Attorney’s office was fair and thoughtful in reviewing this case based on the evidence and making the decision to dismiss this matter particularly in light of the Grand Jury’s decision finding probable cause was lacking,” Goodman said in a statement.
Goodman added that he hopes the decision Thursday “clears” Diaz’s name “from being associated with such horrific but false allegations.”
Diaz, 35, was being accused by the alleged victim, an on-again, off-again girlfriend, of grabbing her by the head and slamming her to the ground and later choking her during an argument at a Las Vegas residence in May. The alleged victim admitted to throwing a glass at Diaz’s head in the alleged physical altercation.
The alleged victim was also injured when she fell onto the corner of an outdoor pool following a scuffle with Diaz, she said. The alleged victim initially told police that Diaz threw her intentionally onto the corner of the pool, but later said he was going to throw her into the water and she hung onto him and ended up falling onto the corner.
The police report deemed the alleged victim’s injuries as “severe” and there was concern that she might have sustained a broken hip. The alleged victim told police that Diaz had never been violent with her in the past, but only had recently due to cocaine use. She said that Diaz left bruises on her thigh from an alleged altercation the previous day.
Diaz was uninjured, per the police report, and it was determined that he was the “primary physical aggressor,” which is why he was arrested at the time.
Goodman said in a statement that he believes the charges being dropped by prosecutors should mean “vindication” in this matter for Diaz.
“Throughout this ordeal [the alleged victim] has given multiple inconsistent versions of what occurred and recently testified before the Grand Jury to a third version,” Goodman said in a statement. “Further, the medical records made clear that [the alleged victim] did not suffer any fractures, subluxation of dislocation, soft tissue damage or any substantial bodily injuries expected from such allegations. The videos she posted prior to this incident clearly shows someone who is motivated by revenge because Nick was seeing other women. Truth delayed is better than no truth at all and I trust that the ultimate dismissal of all charges with prejudice will be viewed as total vindication for Nick and clears his name from being associated with such horrific but false allegations.”