The MMA world will have to wait to learn the fate of Conor McGregor.
On Thursday in New York City, McGregor, associate Cian Cowley, and their legal team appeared at a courthouse in Brooklyn to address the charges stemming from their chaotic actions at the Barclays Center this past April.
The appearance was brief as McGregor and Cowley’s team informed the court that they plan to negotiate a plea. With that, the session was dismissed and the next hearing, where McGregor and Cowley’s team are expected to enter the actual plea, was announced for July 26.
Afterwards, a member of the legal team read a statement from McGregor:
“I regret my actions that led to today. I understand the seriousness of this matter and I’m hopeful this will get worked out. Thank you, everyone.”
MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani spoke to McGregor’s manager Audie Attar, who would not discuss the details of the plea agreement.
“Today we’re here to focus on court, we’re not going to focus on any future plans until we handle this matter,” Attar said. ”Right now we’re in good negotiations with the district attorney, so we’re going to focus on that and we’ll focus on the future later.”
Attar added that he hopes McGregor’s legal situation will be resolved on July 26.
McGregor, Cowley, and teammates invaded the Barclays Center loading area on April 5 after the conclusion of the UFC 223 media day. The men started banging on the UFC fighter bus, which was transporting the athletes back to the hotel. In the mayhem, McGregor picked up a dolly and tossed it at the bus, shattering a window and sending glass into the face and onto the body of some fighters.
The attack was reportedly in retaliation for Khabib Nurmagomedov and his team cornering McGregor’s teammate Artem Lobov at the hotel one day earlier. Lobov was scheduled to be on the card and Nurmagomedov, McGregor’s rival, was set to headline it.
As a result of McGregor throwing the dolly into the glass, Michael Chiesa was left bloodied and he had to withdraw from his planned fight against Anthony Pettis. Ray Borg got glass in his eye and he was deemed medically unfit to face Brandon Moreno on the card. And Lobov was pulled by the UFC from his scheduled bout with Alex Caceres due to his involvement with McGregor.
McGregor and Cowley both turned themselves into the New York Police Department later that night. They were released on $50,000 and $25,000 bond, respectively, and allowed to travel back to Ireland.
On April 6, McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief, while Cowley received one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief.
McGregor has not fought in the UFC since he became lightweight champion with a win over Eddie Alvarez in November 2016 at Madison Square Garden. UFC president Dana White plans to meet with McGregor on Monday. Previously, White has said that McGregor will fight next against Nurmagomedov, who became lightweight champ with a win over late fill-in Al Iaquinta at UFC 223.
Last year, McGregor did not fight in MMA, at all, concentrating on getting and then preparing for a blockbuster boxing match with Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather beat McGregor by TKO in the 10th round, but McGregor has said that he pocketed in the neighborhood of $100 million. Mayweather vs. McGregor was the second biggest pay-per-view card of all time, behind Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao.