Nick Diaz was arrested Friday on multiple charges of domestic violence.
Diaz was apprehended by the Las Vegas Metro Police Department on charges of domestic battery by strangulation — a felony — and first-degree domestic battery, per online records.
Las Vegas Metro Police spokesperson Office Larry Hadfield said he could not confirm that the Diaz arrested was the longtime UFC fighter, but MMA Fighting has confirmed that independently. Diaz is currently being held at Clark County Detention Center with a total bail of $18,000. He is set for his first appearance in court Saturday, according to online records.
Police were dispatched to a Las Vegas residence around 7 p.m. Thursday night and had probable cause to make an arrest, Hadfield said.
Front Row Brian was the first to report news of the situation Friday morning on Twitter.
Diaz, 34, has not fought since 2015. He was suspended by USADA for one year due to a 2017 whereabouts violation in relation to the UFC’s anti-doping policy, but was eligible to return to the Octagon last month.
Later Friday, the UFC released a statement about Diaz’s arrest.
“UFC is aware of the recent arrest of middleweight athlete, Nick Diaz,” the statement read. “The organization does not tolerate domestic violence and requires all athletes to adhere to the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. Every athlete is deserving of due process and this situation, as with any official allegations, will be duly reviewed and thoroughly investigated by an independent party.”