clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Roy Nelson officially out of Bellator 200

New, comments

Both fighters originally scheduled for the Bellator 200 main event have now been removed from the card.

Earlier this week, it was announced that Mirko Cro Cop would be forced to withdraw from his Bellator World Heavyweight Grand Prix alternate bout vs. Roy Nelson, which was to serve as the headliner of Bellator 200 in London on Friday.

At a scrum Wednesday, Bellator president Scott Coker made it official that there would be no replacement opponent for Nelson and that “Big Country” will not be fighting at the show.

“Unfortunately, Mirko tore his knee and he’s out, so Roy will not be fighting on Friday,” Coker said. “We will sit down with Roy after this fight and get him re-booked and get him busy again.”

As for the alternate status that was to be on the line in the Cro Cop vs. Nelson bout, it appears that Nelson will automatically claim it and join the heavyweight title tournament should one of the remaining competitors be forced to bow out for whatever reason.

“Roy is the guy now, so if he gets a spot by default, that’s what it is,” Coker said. “Roy will move forward in the tournament if somebody else can’t make it.”

A middleweight title bout between champion Rafael Carvalho and challenger Gegard Mousasi has been promoted to the Bellator 200 main event.