An intriguing matchup between ranked lightweights Alexander Hernandez and Olivier Aubin-Mercier has been slated for July 28 at UFC on FOX 30 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
The UFC announced the booking Friday.
Hernandez (9-1) made a thunderous impact in his short-notice Octagon debut at UFC 222, knocking out longtime contender Beneil Dariush in 42 seconds on just eight days notice. In total, the 25-year-old prospect — who goes by the nickname “The Great” — has won seven consecutive fights and trains out of San Antonio, TX.
In Aubin-Mercier (11-2), Hernandez faces a hard-charging fellow prospect who has racked up a sterling 7-1 UFC record since moving back down to lightweight.
A finalist on The Ultimate Fighter Nations, Aubin-Mercier picked up the biggest win of his career last month at UFC 223 when he needed just 53 seconds to knock out veteran contender Evan Dunham. “OAM” also owns stoppage wins inside the Octagon over Drew Dober, David Michaud, Thibault Gouti, and Jake Lindsey.
Both fighters are ranked in the top 15 of the UFC’s official lightweight rankings.
UFC on FOX 30 takes place at Calgary’s Scotiabank Saddledome.
The event is headlined by a lightweight rematch between Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier and its main card airs live on FOX.
Who wins it?
This poll is closed
An updated UFC on FOX 30 fight card can be seen below.
- Eddie Alvarez vs. Dustin Poirier
- Jose Aldo vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Tecia Torres
- Alexander Hernandez vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier
- Islam Makhachev vs. Kajan Johnson
- Randa Markos vs. Nina Ansaroff
- Alexis Davis vs. Katlyn Chookagian
- Ion Cutelaba vs. Gadzhimurad Antigulov
- Hakeem Dawodu vs. Austin Arnett
- Ross Pearson vs. John Makdessi
- Dustin Ortiz vs. Matheus Nicolau
- Jordan Mein vs. Alex Morono