The UFC finally has its main event for its debut in Chile.
A welterweight contest featuring Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Kamaru Usman is close to being finalized for the May 19 card in Santiago, Chile, MMA Fighting has learned. The bout isn’t officially signed, according to sources, but is expected to be imminently.
Ponzinibbio (26-3), who hails from Argentina but now trains out of Florida, has won his last six fights in a row. The American Top Team fighter most recently defeated Mike Perry in December.
Usman (12-1) has won 11 fights in a row including an unblemished mark in seven UFC appearances. “The Nigerian Nightmare” is coming off a unanimous decision win over Emil Meek in January.
The event, which will mark the promotion’s first in Chile, is scheduled to take place at the Movistar Arena. The co-main event sees former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Volkan Oezdemir.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage