The Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport released the event’s finalized medical suspension report to MMA Fighting on Wednesday.
Ortega suffered a grisly fourth-round TKO loss via doctor’s stoppage at the hands of featherweight champion Max Holloway in UFC 231’s thrilling main event. Ortega sustained over 300 strikes over the course of the contest, breaking the all-time UFC record for most strikes sustained in a single contest. Afterward, Ortega wrote that suffered injuries to both his thumb and his nose in a post on social media. He was hospitalized following the fight.
As a result of damage sustained in the contest, Ortega will be forced to seek medical clearance and sit out 180 days before returning to active competition, per Ontario commission officials.
UFC 231 took place Dec. 8 at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The night’s main card aired live on pay-per-view.
A complete list of UFC 231’s medical suspensions can be seen below.
- Brian Ortega: 180 days and medical clearance
- Chad Laprise: 180 days and medical clearance
- Alex Oliveira: 60 days
- Jimi Manuwa: 60 days and medical clearance
- Kyle Nelson: 60 days
- Devin Clark: 60 days and medical clearance
- Max Holloway: 30 days
- Valentina Shevchenko: 30 days
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk: 30 days
- Gunnar Nelson: 30 days and medical clearance
- Kyle Bochniak: 30 days and medical clearance
- Jessica Eye: 30 days
- Katlyn Chookagian: 30 days
- Elias Theodorou: 30 days
- Eryk Anders: 30 days and medical clearance
- Matthew Lopez: 30 days
- Hakeem Dawodu: 14 days
- Thiago Santos: 14 days
- Nina Ansaroff: 14 days and medical clearance
- Claudia Gadelha: 14 days
- Gilbert Burns: 14 days
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier: 14 days
- Brad Katona: 14 days
- Dhiego Lima: 14 days
- Diego Ferreira: 14 days
- Aleksandar Rakic: 14 days