Brandon Vera successfully returned to action after two years on the sidelines, defending his heavyweight title with a first-round knockout over former Cage Warriors heavyweight champion Mauro Cerilli in the main event of ONE Championship: Conquest of Champions Friday in Manilla, Philippines.
Vera barged forward and landed chopping leg kicks from the first bell. On the minute mark, Cerilli charged into the champion in an effort to land a right hand, and after switching stances, Vera clipped the Italian with a counter left hook the finished the contest.
The knockout of Cerilli marked Vera’s second title defense.
In the co-main event, Eduard Folayang claimed ONE’s vacant lightweight title with a dominant display over Amir Khan.
Folayang caught fire in the second round, following up two spinning back fists that rocked Khan with a serving of grounded strikes that drew the full attention of the referee. Before the round ended, the Filipino landed two more spinning techniques, this time using his elbows.
“Landslide” was roared on by his passionate home backing and was unrelenting in his striking onslaught against Khan, who never regained composure after Folayang’s showing in the second stanza.
It is the second time the Team Lakay fighter has held the lightweight title.
Former featherweight champion Honorio Banario was forced to work for his judges’ nod against short notice opponent Rahul Raju. Raju forced Banario into difficult grappling situation throughout the contrest. Although he appeared to be exhausted for the majority of the third round, Banario finished strong, drawing a big pop from the crowd as he latched onto a standing rear-naked choke.
Undefeated MMA Lab fighter James Nakashima improved to 10-0 in the first MMA bout of the main card with unanimous decision win over previously undefeated Russian, Raimond Magomedaliev. “Naku” controlled the fight effortlessly on the ground over the 15 minutes to claim the win in his promotional debut.
- Brandon Vera def. Mauro Cerilli via KO (punch) at 1:05 of R1
- Eduard Folayang def. Amir Khan via unanimous decision
- Honorio Banario def. Rahul Raju via unanimous decision
- Saemapetch Fairtex vs. Alaverdi Ramazanov via unanimous decision [Muay Thai bout]
- James Nakashima def. Raimond Magomedaliev via unanimous decision
- Hiroaki Suzuki def. Deivdas Danyla by unanimous decision [Kickboxing bout]
- Samy Sana def. Armen Petrosyan via unanimous decision [Kickboxing bout]
- Alexandre Machado def. Hideki Sekine via TKO (strikes) at 1:44 of R2
- Han Zi Hao def. Azwan Che Wil via TKO (injury) at 2:52 of R1 [Muay Thai bout]
- Jeremy Miado def. Peng Xue Wen via TKO (strikes) at 0;35 of R2
- Akihiro Fujisawa def. Rockie Bactol via TKO (strikes) at 4:40 of R3
- Rudy Agustian def. Asraful Islam via unanimous decision