clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Conor McGregor being sued for UFC 202 press conference bottle-throwing incident

New, comments

Conor McGregor’s debt to the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) for the bottle-throwing mess last year during a press conference has already been paid. But “The Notorious” is not out of hot water yet with regards to that situation.

McGregor is being sued by a man who says he was hit in the back by a can of Monster Energy that the UFC lightweight champion thew during the UFC 202 pre-fight press conference in August 2016, MMA Fighting confirmed via Clark County (Nev.) court records. The Blast was the first to report the news.

At the press conference, McGregor and Nate Diaz — and their respective teams — got into a skirmish that involved foreign objects being thrown all over the MGM Grand’s David Copperfield Theater in Las Vegas. At one point, McGregor, who was still on stage as Diaz and his team were near the exit, started launching water bottles and one energy drink can toward the squad.

The man who filed suit, William Pegg, said he was struck near his left shoulder by said can. The Blast reported that Pegg is claiming he sustained just below $5,000 in medical bills due to the injury incurred. He’s asking for a total of $95,000 from McGregor — based on the UFC star’s presumed $15 million revenue from the UFC 202 fight with Diaz.

The lawsuit was filed March 28. McGregor’s legal team responded, denying liability, per The Blast, on July 27. McGregor Sports & Entertainment is also listed as a defendant in the case.

McGregor, 29, was fined $25,000 and given 25 hours of community service by the Nevada commission in March for the incident. Diaz was fined $15,000 and given 15 hours of community service for his role in the mess in April.

McGregor beat Diaz in the UFC 202 bout by majority decision and has become a bigger worldwide star since. Last month, McGregor fought Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match that could end up setting the record for pay-per-view buys. McGregor has said that he expects to make around $100 million for that bout.

In McGregor’s inevitable return to the UFC, his most likely opponent could be Diaz in the highly anticipated trilogy bout.