UFC heavyweight Travis Browne is in a tough spot.
The 34-year-old fighter dropped his fourth consecutive fight on the preliminary card of UFC 213, which took place at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday night in Las Vegas. Browne had some moments in the fight, but was wobbled early by his opponent Oleksiy Oliynyk and eventually submitted with a choke from back mount in the second round of their fight. Now, Browne is 1-5 in his past six bouts with four stoppage losses.
Considered one of the brightest prospects in the game just four years ago, and now on a bad losing streak, UFC president Dana White finds Browne’s current situation hard to believe.
“It’s crazy,” White told reporters at the UFC 213 post-fight conference. “Travis Browne was one of those guys that before the ‘Big Foot’ fight – and even in the ‘Big Foot’ fight, I mean he got injured, he blew his hamstring, something weird happened to him – in that fight, the guy looked like he was going to be a world champion. This is one of those sports that you just never know. One minute you’re absolutely unbeatable or unstoppable and the next minute you can’t win a fight.”
This heavyweight fight was considered a tune-up fight for Browne, as he had been competing against top-level guys in his most recent bouts. Yet, Browne was stopped by the 40-year-old Oliynyk, who is outside the top-10 rankings, and didn’t look good in the process. With this result, many are beginning to suggest that Browne should consider hanging up the gloves, including White.
“I think that Travis should retire,” White said.