Over the weekend, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir was granted his release from the UFC. The release was a long time coming as Mir had been asking to be let go since last year, after testing positive for oral turinabol metabolites in a USADA test and receiving a two-year suspension which would keep him out of action until April 2018. And now with his release finally granted by the UFC, Mir has big plans for the future.
Speaking with Helen Yee of NBC Sports Radio, Mir addressed his release saying that it was an amicable split with the UFC and that now he has the opportunity to pursue some big fights, most notably one with long-time Pride heavyweight kingpin Fedor Emelianenko.
“We had to come to terms on the situation and the end result was a mutual release. Right now I’m trying to weigh all my options. We talked about who could possibly be opponents out there, so I’m thinking, more or less, what show offers who to fight. Fedor would be an awesome fight. I think we talked about maybe even Brock. So there’s different ideas out there and really there’s just endless possibilities.”
Emelianenko is currently signed with Bellator MMA and last competed at Bellator NYC where he suffered a first-round knockout loss to former UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione. Afterwards, Emelianenko said he intends to continue fighting. Mir himself is coming off a pair of losses to Mark Hunt and Andrei Arlovski, and says that despite Mitrione beating Fedor, he’d still prefer a fight with the Pride legend.
“It wouldn’t be my first choice, to be honest with you. I think Matt Mitrione is a super tough guy, very athletic but I think that I’d probably get more pay-per-view buys if I fought Fedor. Mitrione would probably elevate my status more, a victory over him at this point, towards moving up the rankings but I’m kinda past that part of my career. I’d rather fight named fighters and Fedor’s somebody I’ve always wanted to fight and I think that it would be nice to be able to complete that kind of Who’s Who of my resume.”
Bellator CEO Scott Coker has been more than willing to sign a number of fighters unhappy with or released by the UFC in recent years and a former heavyweight champion and multi-talented personality like Mir would be a prime candidate. Mir currently works as a commentator with the Absolute Combat Berkut organization and previously received praise for his work in the booth for WEC. Moreover, Mir says he’s still a long way off from retirement, meaning he could be a long-term asset for Bellator.
“I enjoy fighting. I want to fight for as long as possible. I don’t think I can fight at the same capacity that I fought in the past. The days of fighting three times in a year is probably over with. Once is probably gonna be more or less [the goal], or almost twice or three times in two years. Just enjoy martial arts, enjoy the lifestyle, and fight big fights. . .
“Hopefully until I’m told I can’t do it anymore. I’m thinking maybe 45. If you just handle it smart, I think you can do it.”
Sinusitis. Amanda Nunes reveals that sinusitis led to her withdrawal from UFC 213.
The best promo the UFC has ever made.
Official MayGregor promo.
Highlights of the insanity.
Beatdown After the Bell. Immediate reaction to UFC 213.
6th Round. Immediate reaction to UFC 213.
Bushido Talk. UFC 213 recap and reaction.
SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE
Amanda Nunes’ statement.
And Nunes saying she doesn’t care about Dana’s absurd statement.
It doesn't matter Main Event or Co-Main. I just want the same fight.— Amanda Nunes (@Amanda_Leoa) July 9, 2017
Today I am 100% ready for this fight. During the last 3 months of training I did everything to be in my best shape for this fight. Nunes couldn't cut weight correctly and was hospitalized. She wanted to cut weight and recover rapidly to have the advantage. The end result, everything went wrong. Even though she was medically cleared to fight, she backed out. This fight was originally offered to take place in April and she would not accept then. I did my part and am very upset that I can't fight for the title today on this great event. I am even more upset for all my dear fans who support me every time throughout the world and to those who traveled to see me fight here in Las Vegas live. I feel frustrated about what happened but I won't relax, will not put down energy in my preparation, and will wait until the UFC gives us another date for the fight. #UFC213 #teamBullet
Romero handled the loss with extreme class.
The other fight that fell out over the weekend.
Extremely disappointed but eyebelieve everything happen for reason and something better will be instore for me. Thanks for the support— Jessica Eye (@jessicaevileye) July 7, 2017
Respect a man owning his mistakes.
Amazing main event tonight. Obviously regret messing up Kazushi Sakuraba's name. Respect his amazing career and all his done for the sport.— Todd Grisham (@GrishamMMA) July 8, 2017
One of these is objectively false. The other is very debatable.
The fans know I'm the more exciting and the more deserving— Cub Swanson (@CubSwanson) July 10, 2017
LMAO. LMAO. LMAO. Can't wait.— Cheick Kongo (@kongo4real) July 9, 2017
Why are u so obsessed with me? In 2011, u wanted 2 get me pregnant, now this?! I'm happily straight but keep talking & imma fuck u up, bitch https://t.co/55zUr3UaGu— Cheick Kongo (@kongo4real) July 9, 2017
It really was.
That was a good contest. Two fighters, fighting.— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) July 8, 2017
Nate runs this ish.
Fighters still do this.
Tavares's call out of 'whoever's next' has got me jacked. Lol.— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) July 8, 2017
Ryan Hall is ruthless.
Gray Maynard interviews truly are the gift that keeps on giving... https://t.co/RrkMfi7SBw— Ryan Hall (@ryanhall5050) July 7, 2017
But this fight makes sense.
You dont have to ask me twice, lets do it!!— Artem Lobov (@RusHammerMMA) July 7, 2017
Conor needs a new tailor.
Look, I love a freak show fight as much as the next guy, but c’mon.
So... did nobody tell Gabi Garcia that punting your criminally undersized opponent is frowned upon? pic.twitter.com/RqAfXQe8Pu— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) July 7, 2017
Also over the weekend, Paul Harris doing Paul Harris things.
Rousimar Palhares separated Alexei Ivanov foot in less than 40 s. (FNG 70) pic.twitter.com/wpQCZWB7mx— Jolassanda (@Jolassanda) July 7, 2017
TODAY IN MMA HISTORY
Gaethje-Johnson is almost certainly the Fight of the Year and legitimately one of the best fights I’ve ever seen. I’ve already re-watched it a handful of times and I can wholeheartedly endorse you doing the same.
Oh and Bobby “The Reaper” Knuckles did the damn thing against Romero with a jacked up leg. That is incredibly impressive. We might finally have a middleweight champion who can put together a sustained run (though Mousasi will be a bananas fight).
Back again for another week of MMA action. We’ve got a Bellator and a UFC this weekend plus the debut of the Tuesday Night Contender Series so lots of fisticuffs to enjoy. Take it easy y’all and Conor bless.
If you find something you'd like to see in the Morning Report, just hit me up on Twitter @JedKMeshew and let me know about it. Also follow MMAFighting on Instagram and add us on Snapchat at MMA-Fighting because we post dope things and you should enjoy it.