The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) approved an Aug. 26 date in Las Vegas for Mayweather Promotions in a meeting Wednesday. But the fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor is not officially attached to it — at least for now.
NAC executive director Bob Bennett told MMA Fighting that Mayweather Promotions applied for the Aug. 26 date for a boxing card at MGM Grand, which will air on Showtime, last week. Mayweather officials then pulled that application earlier this week before asking for it to be put back on Tuesday night, Bennett said.
“It was within their legal right and the date was put back on the agenda,” Bennett said.
Mayweather vs. McGregor is likely to be at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and will certainly be on pay-per-view. So the details of the approved card would have to change from how it is currently constituted to make room for Mayweather and McGregor. Mayweather Promotions runs multiple shows per year that do not feature Mayweather himself.
Bennett said that he does not have anything official in place for the fight. Neither man is even currently licensed to box in Nevada at the moment.
“No, I do not have any completed boxing license for McGregor or Mayweather,” Bennett said. “I have no documents from the promoters requesting this fight and/or for this fight to be approved.”
McGregor still owes the NAC documentation that he did 20 hours of community service from a 2016 disciplinary sanction. He also has not fully completed his boxing license application, Bennett said.
That process, though, could only take four to five days, so it doesn't necessarily mean Aug. 26 won't be the date. It’s just not official yet. Bennett has said that Mayweather vs. McGregor is an “approvable” fight if it comes across his desk.
Multiple outlets have reported Aug. 26 as the targeted day, but that nothing is signed yet.