clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

UFC 211’s Sergio Pettis vs. Henry Cejudo fight canceled

New, comments
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

DALLAS — Saturday night’s UFC 211 card has taken a last-minute hit.

Sergio Pettis vs. Henry Cejudo has been canceled, MMA Fighting has learned. According to multiple sources, a hand injury has forced Cejudo out of the fight, which was slated to take place on the pay-per-view main card.

Pettis will receive his show money and doesn't have to make weight, sources say.

Pettis told MMA Fighting that he found out earlier this afternoon that the fight was off due to Cejudo’s injured hand.

“It’s a sh*tty feeling, man,” he said. “I’ve never had this happen to me before. I put so much time and effort into this camp. I was three days away from a performance of a lifetime.”

Despite the last-minute change, Pettis said he held no ill feelings towards Cejudo and wished him a speedy recovery. While he would not accuse Cejudo of foul play, he did say he’d be interested in seeing medical proof of the hand injury.

The 23-year-old Pettis did not know at this time whether the UFC planned on re-booking the fight or going in a different direction.

UFC 211 will proceed with 13 fights, as the David Branch vs. Krzysztof Jotko middleweight fight will now take place on the pay-per-view main card.

Update: Cejudo gave the following exclusive statement to MMA Fighting:

It is with regret that I have to announce I have had to pull out of my fight with Sergio Pettis this Saturday at UFC 211 due to injury.

I really want to apologize to the fans and to Sergio Pettis for this unfortunate event.

About two weeks ago I injured my hand sparring, and went to the doctor to get it examined after I was unable to grapple or punch. The doctor looked at X-rays and informed me my hand wasn't broken, so I assumed it was just bruised or sprained. I stopped using my hand for the next week and a half to allow it to rest as much as possible, and I had multiple prp treatments as well as an ultrasound in hopes of breaking up any build up or swelling.

After arriving in Dallas on Tuesday evening, I hit mitts with my striking coach to get my timing down, and after I threw my first punch, a sharp pain shot through my wrist and hand.

My team and I contacted the UFC to see if a cortisone shot would be allowed. The UFC sent me to a hand specialist, and he told me I had a cyst in my wrist as well as a ruptured capsule with the possibility of a tear in the ligament. He informed me the cortisone shot could possibly do more damage than any benefit and told me it would be insane to fight. He contacted the UFC doctors and informed them that my wrist and hand were unfit to fight this Saturday.

I will schedule an appointment with a hand specialist next week and figure out the next course of action.

Thank you and I will be back stronger than ever.