Yoel Romero didn’t get his shot to fight for the UFC middleweight belt next, so now he’s gunning for the second-best thing – an interim title.
Earlier this month, Romero, who’s the No. 1 contender in the UFC middleweight division, was skipped over by former welterweight king Georges St-Pierre in the line to challenge 185-pound champion Michael Bisping. The booking between Bisping and St-Pierre was made official by the promotion, although no date or event was announced for the fight.
The Cuban fighter admits to be bothered by the UFC’s decision to give St-Pierre, who’s never fought at middleweight, the chance to challenge the champion over him.
“To be honest, I’m very bothered with the decision that was made, but I’m still focused and I hope that Dana [White] makes things right like he’s always done,” Romero told Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of the MMA Hour. “With me, nothing has been spoken, we haven’t reached an agreement, and I’m just waiting for them to speak with my manager.”
Romero is unsure where things will go for him next and describes his current situation to be much like a “chess match”. However, the 39-year-old fighter does have a plan and it involves fighting MMA legend Anderson Silva for the middleweight interim title.
“I don’t think it would be a bad idea, and I think would be something good for the fans and myself to ask for an interim title fight with Anderson Silva,” Romero explained. “I think it would take away and clear any cobwebs that may still be around and allow me to start a legacy.”
The interim title fight with Silva is the only fight that would stop Romero from sitting on the sidelines in wait for his shot at the winner of Bisping vs. St-Pierre. ‘The Soldier of God’ believes Silva, who’s ranked seventh in the division, is the only opponent that makes sense for him at the moment.
“If you look the top-5 rankings, everyone is busy and the only ones that are not booked are Anderson and I,” Romero said. “He already beat everyone, and if you look at the list he’s the only big star that’s in title contention and that I haven’t fought.”