clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Morning Report: Mark Hunt calls out ‘little chicken rat’ Fabricio Werdum for title eliminator at UFC Perth

New, comments

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Mark Hunt is wasting no time getting right back into the thick of things.

Hunt was supposed to headline UFC Sydney against Marcin Tybura just last month but was removed from the card as precautionary measure after stating in an interview with “Players Voice” that he was losing his memory and slurring his words at times. But just last week, Hunt was cleared to resume his fighting career following a full medical analysis and now with that firmly behind him, “The Super Samoan,” wants to work his way to a title shot and he’s hoping to extract a little revenge on his way there.

Speaking recently to Sporting News, Hunt said that since he missed out on fighting in Sydney, he would like to be on the UFC’s upcoming card in Perth, Australia, and that hopefully it would be against his former opponent and the man who replaced him at UFC Sydney, Fabricio Werdum.

“Hopefully I get a fight in Perth – we’re waiting for Werdum to say yes, but he’s such a little chicken rat,” Hunt said. “I’d like to be on the undercard for that world title fight for Rob Whittaker. That would be awesome being a part of history right there in Perth.”

Hunt and Werdum previously fought at UFC 180 for the interim heavyweight title, with Werdum knocking Hunt out in the second round. Hunt was hoping to rematch Werdum at UFC Sydney but Werdum wasn’t interested, prompting Hunt to take the fight with Tybura instead. Then, when Hunt was forced off the card, Werdum stepped in on short notice, something that doesn’t sit well with Hunt who believes it is proof that Werdum knows their first fight was a fluke.

“I don’t know why Werdum doesn’t want to party,” said Hunt. “We asked to do Japan, we asked to do Sydney and he said no. Then the next minute gets the fight against Tybura. He said ‘no’ to me, but 'yes' to Tybura, the little rat.

“He knows he’ll get knocked out. That’s the only reason I can think why (he won’t fight again),” Hunt said. “He got me in Mexico, but I sure as hell doubt it’ll go the same way the next time we fight. Three and a half weeks’ notice and 21 kilograms later … I was schooling that punk-ass too. He got lucky with that knee.”

But it’s not just vengeance that Hunt wants, it’s a shot at the title. Coming off KO of the Year contender over Alistair Overeem, Francis Ngannou is set to challenge Stipe Miocic for the heavyweight title early next year, but after that the heavyweight title picture is wide open. A matchup between the third-ranked Werdum and the fifth-ranked Hunt could well determine the next guy in line for the winner of Miocic-Ngannou, and that’s what Hunt is hoping for.

“I don’t want to sit around forever. I need a top guy, I need to get back to work,” Hunt said. “This is my last shot at getting the strap. Hopefully, they’ll give me someone in the top 10 – someone above me – and all I can see is that Werdum is the only one available. I don’t know what’s happening with Cain [Velasquez] – he hasn’t fought in forever. Alistair [Overeem] is still looking for his soul somewhere after getting upper-cutted out of the universe, and Ngannou’s got the title shot.

“If I can get over Werdum, I should be next in line to fight the champ. I could be champ by next year. Now it’s just about getting Werdum to say yes.”

But if Werdum still won’t say yes, Hunt is already working on a backup plan. Posting on his Facebook account yesterday, Hunt suggested that he is now preparing to fight someone other than “the spineless coward mutt Werbum,” and all indications are it’s eleventh-ranked Aleksei Oleinik.

U have called me out and now I’m going to give it to u right in that big mouth of yours I’m going to wrap this gift up...

Posted by Mark "Super Samoan" Hunt on Monday, December 11, 2017

“U have called me out and now I’m going to give it to u right in that big mouth of yours I’m going to wrap this gift up nice and tight for u boiii so u never compete again at this level the only good thing I can say about u is u are not a spineless coward mutt like werbum there isn’t anything worst for me than someone who is scared to fight like werbum #standupinthegameormovethefuckasidebitch#FUKMEDED #someonesgettingrolled [sic]”

Talk of a potential Oleinik-Hunt fight happened earlier this year when Oleinik called out Hunt via Instagram. Hunt responded saying that he was trying to fight Werdum and the fight never got off the ground for Oleinik. Now it appears that bout is back on the menu for Hunt, assuming Werdum remains uninterested.


MUST-READ STORIES

HW. Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is training and ready to make a “sustained run.”

Title shot. Frankie Edgar wants to fight Max Holloway in April or March.

Title defense. Nicco Montano wants to defend her title against Sijara Eubanks.

Retire. John Danaher says Georges St-Pierre not fighting again is a “definite possibility.”

Loaded gun. Michael McDonald blasts the UFC’s bonus system for fighters.


VIDEO STEW

Just a sensational video series from Bloody Elbow and Luke Thomas.

Road to the Octagon for UFC Winnipeg.

TTTHS.

Schaub with the correct take.

So cold to Aljo.


LISTEN UP

The MMA Hour. DC, Ortega, Gustafsson, Alvarez, and many more guests this week.

The Co-Main Event. Discussing T-City’s choke and GSP’s vacation.

Severe MMA. Discussing UFC Fresno, GSP, Bellator, and previewing UFC Winnipeg.


SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE

Sly teased some things and then edited the post to this much less leading one.

Mississippi Mean indeed.

Poirier is unhappy with Edward.

Aljo taking his loss like a champ.

Matchmaking.

Max lobbying.

No.

Emil still wants the Problem.

Heresy.

DC showing Cain back at it.

Six months of sprawl training and Kawhi is the heavyweight champ.

oh hell nah the @nba betta watch out (via @footlocker Instagram story) #KawhiLeonard #TheKlaw #KL2

A post shared by K L ② (@kawhinot) on


FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS

N/A.


TODAY IN MMA HISTORY

2007: At WEC 31, Urijah Faber submitted Jeff Curran with a guillotine choke to retain his WEC featherweight title. Also that evening, Chael Sonnen “did not tap out” against Paulo Filho who retained his middleweight title when the fight was stopped after Sonnen yelled while caught in an armbar.

2009: B.J. Penn became the first man to stop Diego Sanchez, cutting Sanchez open with a head kick and retaining his UFC lightweight title at UFC 107.

2014: Carla Esparza became the inaugural UFC strawweight champion when she submitted Rose Namajunas at The Ultimate Fighter 20 finale.

2015: Thirteen seconds. Conor McGregor won the UFC featherweight title, knocking out Jose Aldo at UFC 194. Also that evening, Luke Rockhold became the UFC middleweight champion by stopping Chris Weidman with strikes.


FINAL THOUGHTS

Frankie Edgar is still the frontrunner for the next shot at Holloway’s belt according to y’all but Ortega got a pretty decent amount of love from y’all.

Also, read this thing from Iain Kidd about a USADA loophole that could be undermining the entire thing it’s supposed to be for.

That’s all for today folks. Take it easy and see y’all tomorrow.


EXIT POLL

Poll

Will Mark Hunt ever work his way to a title shot?

This poll is closed

  • 26%
    Yes
    (374 votes)
  • 73%
    No
    (1012 votes)
1386 votes total Vote Now

If you find something you'd like to see in the Morning Report, hit me up on Twitter @JedKMeshew and let me know about it. Also follow MMAFighting on Instagram, add us on Snapchat at MMA-Fighting, and like us on Facebook.