clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Michael Bisping calls assault lawsuit against him ‘total bollocks’

Gallery Photo: UFC 152 Press Conference Photos Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

LOS ANGELES — Michael Bisping said there’s no substance to a lawsuit filed against him Monday in California Superior Court.

A 19-year-old man is alleging that Bisping assaulted and battered him during a confrontation at a 24-Hour Fitness in Anaheim, Calif., on July 31. Antonio Georgakopolous says Bisping choked him for “two to three seconds,” not allowing him to breathe. He then had to see a specialist for severe throat pain, per the complaint.

“Total bollocks,” Bisping said Thursday at a UFC 217 media lunch. “There’s your comment.”

Also named in the lawsuit were the UFC, WME-IMG (the UFC’s parent company) and 24-Hour Fitness. Bisping mostly laughed it off.

“I haven’t even been served with papers,” the UFC middleweight champion said. “They’re suing the UFC, they’re suing 24-Hour Fitness, they’re suing William Morris Endeavor, they’re suing Michael Bisping. So good luck with that. It’s completely infactual. From what I’ve read about it so far, there’s many, many contradictions. Obviously, it’s a lawsuit, so I don’t want to say too much, but I can just say I’m not losing too much sleep and it’s not correct.”

According to the complaint written by attorney Gavril T. Gabriel, Bisping confronted Georgakopolous for allegedly taking his weights at the gym. Bisping called Georgakopolous an “idiot,” a “punk” and said “you don’t know who I am,” it is being alleged. Then Bisping grabbed the teenager by the throat, the complaint states.

The lawsuit says Bisping was served a private persons arrest form. But Bisping was not arrested, according to Anaheim Police Department public information officer Sgt. Daron Wyatt. Wyatt told MMA Fighting that the investigation was submitted to the City Attorney’s Office and “it was determined there was insufficient evidence to file a criminal case,” Wyatt said.

Bisping, 38, defends his title against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 at New York’s Madison Square Garden. It’s one of the biggest UFC events of the year. Bisping believes the lawsuit was filed this week for a reason.

“You tell me,” Bisping said. “It happened months ago. It seems very, very tactical. ‘Oh, let’s bring it out a week before the biggest fight of his life.’ Bring some attention to it, perhaps. Look for a settlement. I’m already saying too much. Good job.”

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting