Conor McGregor beat Nate Diaz via majority decision in an exciting fight at UFC 202, but former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos disagrees with the judges.
Dos Anjos, who holds a win over Diaz and trained to defend his belt against McGregor earlier this year, wasn’t impressed with the welterweight bout, praised by many as one of the best fights so far in 2016. The Brazilian lightweight scored it for Diaz, giving him the edge in three of the five rounds.
"I think most of the people watched MMA for the first time that day and they think that was… I just saw two sloppy guys after the second round," dos Anjos said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. "The fight got so sloppy, and I didn’t see the best fight of all times at all, but it is what it is."
"The first round was good," he continued. "Conor dropped Nate a couple of times, but then I didn’t see like ‘Wow, what an exciting fight.’ I didn’t see that way. I’ve watched better fights before."
McGregor tied the score against Diaz following his second-round loss to the Stockton native back in March, but the future of both fighters is still up in the air.
Dos Anjos, who suffered his first defeat in years in July, losing his UFC title to Eddie Alvarez via first-round knockout, believes "The Notorious" has a good chance at moving back to the losing column if he faces Alvarez for the 155-pound gold next.
"Eddie has more weapons than Conor," dos Anjos said. "He has grappling, has better wrestling than Nate. Everybody saw Nate is a tough guy, he has a big heart, but Nate is kind of limited. He has good boxing and a good ground game but he doesn’t have takedowns, he doesn’t have kicks, so this can make the fight harder for him. Eddie has good wrestling, good boxing, he kicks, too, so I think Eddie can give Conor a hard time."