clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

UFC on FOX 21 results: Demian Maia blows through Carlos Condit in main event, scores first-round submission

New, comments
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

VANCOUVER – In a fight that could end up playing a factor in who challenges for the welterweight title next, Demian Maia showed up in vintage form in Saturday night's main event.

Maia scored a first-round submission (rear-naked choke) over Carlos Condit, becoming the first to finish Condit via submission since 2006, when Pat Healy did it. The end came at 1:52 of the first round.

Maia spun Condit to the ground early in the first round, and immediately went to work trying to advance to side control. As Condit tried to get up, Maia snatched his back and rode him back to the ground. He sank in the rear-naked choke and held on as Condit tried to fend him off. Moments later, Condit tapped out.

"I am just so happy now," Maia said in the post-fight interview. "I hope now I can fight for a title shot."

When asked if he would accept a fight in between should No. 1 contender Stephen Thompson — who was in attendance at the Rogers Arena — get the next shot against champion Tyron Woodley, Maia said he'd be patient.

"If he will fight first, I will wait for the winner of Woodley and 'Wonderboy,'" Maia said.

Condit was gracious, as usual, in defeat.

"I have mad respect for [Maia] as a martial artist, and as a man," he said. "As far as my future, I have no idea."

With the victory, the 38-year old Maia has now won six fights in a row. Condit, who contemplated retirement earlier this year after a split decision loss against Robbie Lawler at UFC 195, has now lost two in a row and five out of seven overall.